Monday 12 March 2007

Punctures and myyticism

Hi,

My local bike is replacing my inner tube and I should get it back 9am today. They don't repair punctures. I can see the relevance of Keith's view of speedy replacing an inner tube especially on a long trip. However, since I was 'nowt but a lad' I have always repaired punctures though occasionally had to admit defeat or accept that a tube had had it. It seemes to be there ia a niche in the market for a speedy low cost puncture repair service.

Christa one of my cycling vets (no she does not heal animals as far as I know but I wouldn't put it past her!) tells me that travelling Lands End to John O'Groats rather than the other way round means that as the sun is not in your eyes you see more of the scenery. Indeed I have two fears for my trip - boiling hot weather or torrential rainfall. Knowing me knowing England (Ah ha!) I'll get both. Jeni who was in on my conversation with Christa asys travelling North my shadow will travel before me. Hmm.

I have been enjoying reading more of Tim Moore and his French Revolutions book. He reckons that if you cycle all day you need much more than the ususal 2,000 calories and he suggests 9,000 but he then he does talk of putting on weight on his trip. Otherwise he says you go a bit strange and have halucinations. Problem is that is my normal state (I call it mystic but others [and they know who I mean!] see it as schizoid. So how do I tell the difference? I do know cycling especially in hot weather makes me thirsty and I'll watch the hunger. My inclination is to to eat a litle fairly often. I'll check this out.

Best to all,

Bill

No comments: