Monday 19 March 2007

Keith, Christa and drafting

Hi,

Back on the bike today and feeling good about last Friday's 55 miles trip. I was less stiff the next day and could have faced some gentle cycling...

Christa has been trying to get through to me on the travelling north issue. Below is two extracts from recent emails:

Right, this is my third attempt to get you to see the light! Just looked at your blog. Yes, I do see what you mean by sun in your eyes. But, aargh, how do I get through to this bloke. If you travel northish the sun shining onto the landscape ahead of you illuminates it - the play of light on reality-out-there is different cf on the northern hillsides etc you'd see (not so gloriously defined) if going southish. I await, intrigued, for yet more interpretations!

Let me just add, what has most frustrated me re seeing scenery has been, just occasionally, having what I know to be a marvellous view ahead of me, eg some quirky castle halfway up some northish slope, but I can't see the damn thing because it's relatively shaded compared to a sunshot sky which is tuning down my eye receptors. (If I say 'cones' in a cycling context, heaven help me if someone gets their cone-spanner out!)
- Christa Gausden.

I love this idea of Christa tying to get me to see the light and her persistence and frustration with me. I see the light but find it hard to talk about! But where is the light - within us, or outside us? Incidentally I felt a bit like I was on a retreat on Friday and it occurs to me that a cycling retreat would be a good idea. I was on a walking retreat a few months back around Manchester of all places.

My friend Keith has left a comment- my first so far to this blogsite. He wants you to know that he was not suggesting throwing away punctured inner tubes merely saying that carrying a spare on a long trip makes for a quick change. The punctured one can then be repaired at leisure.

Finally check this link for an amazing fim clip of cycling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdg91Z0VgDw

Best to all,

Bill

No comments: