Friday 23 March 2007

Bananas, Kenya and 'Is it safe?'

So,

I have just heard back from Don in Kenya regarding the question of whether they grow bananas over there. See my earlier blog ('Join the Banana Bums') when this matter first arose. Don replied: "So the answer to your question is yes. Also of some interest is the fact that we have bananas for eating, different bananas for cooking with, some for frying and others for making beer!" I am going have to research this in person when I am next in Kenya in September. But it does mean that Bananas Bums is a good moniker for us on this end to end trip.

People keep asking me is it safe to cycle in Manchester? My old friend Neil who used to be a motorbike messenger in London and who made off with my then girlfriend Zee - the swine - (but this blog is not about my youth in Nottinghill Gate in the early 70s those stories belong elsewhere if at all) Anyway Neil (may he rot in...) said that his survival on the mad streets of London were based on expecting car drivers to do idiotic things.

My survival on my bike in Mancheter is based on getting as far away from cars as I can. So cycling into work I pass through 3 parks which is often a joy to me. I cross 4 main roads 2 of them using traffic lights. I make sure drivers can see at these lights by stopping ahead of the traffic. If in doubt I don't and I am happy to wait for a clear gap between cars. I use the back streets as much as possible - which is fun - and cycle routes and lanes. I travel in early to work when there is less traffic and mostly leave early before the rush or later after it.

I find most drivers courteous. When this happens for instance when they wait for me to complete a narrow stretch of the road before overtaking me, I always acknowledge this with a wave of my hand - positive reinforcement!

There are risks attached to cycling as there are to using cars or being a pedestrian. But in not cycling there are consequences. It is a great boost to health, its great fun, its a very creative and is often spiritual experience for me.

I'll be posting up my LEJOG (Lands End to John O'Groats) possible route soon. I am choosing a scenic route that avoids the main roads and cities as much as possible.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: