Thursday 15 March 2007

More bananas, Flans and polar bears

So I was reading Tim Moore yesterday and came across this bit where he has got a puncture and realises that he has left his pump in the car now miles away. Suddenly he meets a Frenchman nearby selling mountian bikes who repairs his puncture for free and then gives him a banana to send him on his way!

You get to have a strange and curiously intimate relationship with your bike. Flan O'Brien (Quiche Lorraine - sorry I couldn't resist it) the Irish author in his book 'At swim two birds' drew on the new Quantum physics of the time (1920s I think) and suggested that there was an exchange of molecules between you and your bike so that over time you became more bike like and your bike became more like you. Well for those of us who believe and experience everything in the universe as interconnected this make sense. So maybe every time I peddle on my bike a polar bear coughs!

Best to all,

Bill

1 comment:

Keith said...

Hi William,

A quick comment on the puncture repair issue. I didn't mean to suggest that you simply chuck a punctured tube on the nearest landfill!

I find that fixing punctures successfully requires a certain Zen attitude and this is easier to achieve at home rather than sitting by the side of the road. So I carry a spare.

Keith

PS In Laurie Taylor's spoof column this week in the THES about life at the University of Poppleton, the member of staff who has started to keep an online diary of his activities is being referred to by his colleagues as 'Mr. Bloggy' - so beware!