Saturday 23 June 2007

Savlon on your nethers

Hi,

Keith has come up trumps sponsoring me 10p a mile (work it out). This takes the figure up to over 500 pounds. Keith also came up with some advice from fellow cyclists about taking a rest day and doing 50 not 70 miles per day. I have wondered about a rest day but timetable is a bit tight and my arrangements are a bit complicated. There is one day when I will do somewhat under 70 miles which should help.

The next phase of my training will involve more sustained cycling so should get some clearer idea about it. I am hoping that my body will get into the swing of things on the trip itself so that I don't get progressively worn out but that might be a fantasy based on youthful experiences.

Anyway I am going to give this trip my best shot, if my body gives I am not going to push on regardless. I guess if I can't do it in one go I will do it in two!

There was an interesting piece by Tom Robbins in the Observer on the 17th June about cycling from London to Canterbury which will form part of the Tour de France (don't ask). Hi mate Mike who did the trip with him said, "I tend to smear my shorts with chamois cream, which sounds disgusting but really helps. Just smear your nethers in Savlon before you set out and you'll be fine." Yeah well we will see about this.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: