Thursday 7 June 2007

On and off the Edge

Hey!

I did 70 miles today the first time in 40 years!! I did my usual 56 mile route in about 6 hours - 30 mins faster than usual and then added a canal trip to Altrincham and back making another 14 miles. All in all 70 miles in 8 hours about 9 miles per hour - my target is 10 but I am not complaining.

The question is could I do 70 tomorrow? And the next day? And the next day and so on. Probably not right now but I'm working on it. It will be interesting to see how I feel on the bike to work tomorrow but right now I feel surprisingly good.

It was perfect day for cycling dull and overcast little wind no rain and only a touch of sun. The first few miles sped past and I yowled passing through Alderley Edge. The mid 20s I hit a slow difficult patch and my right knee began to complain as it does - this is usually after lunch but wasn't this time which blows that theory but come the mid 30s I was back on track (Sounds like the story of my chronological life!). After it seemed to go OK.

However, the bike - still with no name - any suggestions or shall we refer to it as the bike-with-no-name? anyway the bike had had an occasional click for a few days and this click became more pronounced as I put my weight on the right pedal. It was rather like the sound you used to get in old bikes when the cotter pins had sheared through but modern bikes don't have them as far as I know (Christa are you reading this?).

I was worried something terrible would happen but it lasted out. So I am just back from Cyclelogic my friendly round the corner cycle shop who will also fit me a computerised mileometer that Sheila gave me months ago and I couldn't figure out how to fit it. Then I can respond to Christa's challenge that LEJOG is under a 1000 miles even the route I am following is reckoned to be 1017.

Still knowing my excellent navigation skills not I'll probaly end up doing at least 1050 and which point pedantically minded people and Graham will argue that sponsoring per mile does not include getting lost or trips on ferries or getting a tug from a friendly canal boat etc. 'Oh go on' as Grace would plead and flutter her eye lashes becomingly (I think she has inherited my rather fine eyelashes...)

Enough of this whimsical nonsense! Or as my workmate Clare would say 'Time for a brew'

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: