Monday 11 June 2007

The bike has a name

So,

Grace reckons that the bike-with-no-name should be called Nana Groat (after Bananas and John O'Groats. It sounds pretty good to me but we reckon it still needs a middle name to complete it. Any thoughts?

Today my cycle into work was in sunshine with just a touch of a breeze marvelous but already starting to get hot. If this is June what will August be like? With our climate who knows - snow, gales or heatwave or all 3 one after the other. I certainly remember snow in Edinburgh one June in the mid 1980s!

My friend James talked nostalgically about a bike trip he did in Holland one summer in which they got up about 6 am and cycled for 3 hours had breakfast and then cycled to about 1pm had lunch and then stopped.

Something like that kinda appeals to me as I am never ready for breakfast first thing, its cool in more ways than one to cycle early morning half awake. Also I dread a hot 2-3 pm. With B and Bs and my back up team I can't see this quiet happening for me but I do relish the notion of getting away soon after 8 whenever possible.

People seemed somewhat stunned that I actually did 70 miles last Thursday ('Oh ye of little faith!) and most people think I am a bit cracked to be doing the trip. But doing 70 last Thursday makes me feel the trip is possible. I still need to do 70 day after day but...

My Friend Richard has just been in touch and he is definitely up for a couple of days which will be brilliant. He has got a real feel for the process and suggests that the 2nd or 3rd day is likely to be the hardest (Dartmoor here I come!) but says that if I set small goals for the next bit of it each day it will helps.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: