Monday 9 July 2007

Making a difference

Hi,

A dry bike ride to work! In fact I even managed to get sun burnt a bit on Saturday at Grace's school summer fair. £30 more sponsorship on Friday takes the grand total over £750 which is brilliant.

My whippet knees (see previous pots to get the illusion) have been feeling good, must be all the Glucosamine tablets I have been taken apart from in bed on Sunday morning my right knee decided to ache! I wish the trip was on today I am as ready as I will be in 3 weeks time.

My friend and sponsor and occasional correspondent Graham wrote after the last post - "Thank you for your info about Peter Kahugu making a living sharpening knives. If he had been born in UK he'd might have done a PhD in engineering and be earning a high income as an engineer. As it is he is getting $10 a day. It is humbling to think how luck I/we are living in UK with all the opportunities we have. Thanks, Graham"

Spot on Graham. What it also reminds me is how inventive and creative people are everywhere given half a chance or even less than half a chance. I also no in my bones how education makes a difference because it did to me and I see in my students who go on to make a real difference and that is what the work of KAPC in Kenya is all about - making a difference.

My dear friend Pittu Laungani who died in March this year - there was a good obituary for him in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago - once said to me when I asked him what his life's purpose had been and still was. He replied it was to make the world a bit better place. He did that in spades despite being seriously ill for the last 18 years of his life!

The human spirit staggers me.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: