Saturday 21 July 2007

I'm proud of you

So,

It's getting close to the ride, we travel to Norfolk a week today and after 2 family birthday dos there we set off for Cornwall on Wednesday 1st August staying overnight with friends in Dorchester then on to Penzance and the next day Friday August 3rd LEJOG starts!

I have been scaring myself reading a book on bike maintenance and realising how badly I look after Sir Walter,the bike-with-too-many-names, but he has been getting better treatment than ever before and later today I pick him up with I think a new crankshaft and better gear changing. I have promised myself to look after him better over the trip and after.

I am hooked on this blogging business so when the trip is over I think I will let this blog rest and start a new one called something like whatyouwill! The new blog will be less bike based but will retain the humour and the whimsical nature of this blog. But there is plenty of water to pass under the bridge or under my bike wheels before then!

I had lunch with Keith yesterday - he of the "if I fall off the pig gets it fame". Keith will join me on the Thursday morning in Manchester and cycle some of the way north with me and Richard (Richard joins me that morning for two days cycling). David aka as Doctor Gringo still intends to join me part of the way at some point - if this turns out to be Manchester they will be a whole bunch of us blokes on the case.

Keith's parting shot to be after we went our separate ways was "I'm proud of you" Nice one.

Meanwhile back in the office Andy has made the scurilious suggestion that I launch a sweepstake in which people choose how far they think I will get. Andy at least suggested 775 miles which is something of a vote of confidence. OK so it could raise a bit of extra money. Place you votes and your money here - name that distance!

Sponsorshipwise I am now up to £787 with 3 more people who are sponsoring but not yet confirming a figure and with a few more arms to twist in the coming days I am confident that I reach my first goal of £1000. But of course I want to do more so over to you. It just takes an email to william.west@manchester.ac.uk or a phone call 0161 275 3397. Or post me a comment on this blog.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: