Thursday 19 July 2007

Being boring

Hi,

I have just tracked down the lyrics of 'Being boring' by the Pet Shop Boys. Here is some of the lines after the singer has reflected on his life in the 70s he sings:
"Now I sit with different faces
In rented rooms and foreign places
All the people I was kissing
Some are here and some are missing
In the nineteen-nineties
I never dreamt that I would get to be
The creature that I always meant to be
But I thought in spite of dreams
You'd be sitting somewhere here with me"

It clearly can be seen as song about AIDS "Some are here and some are missing" (made more poignant when we know that all through the Pets early fame a close friend of Neil of the PETS was dying from AIDS). For me, this song is also about becoming "I never dreamt that I would get to be/The creature that I always meant to be" that for me is about what we know about ourselves inside and how much we are able to be that in the world- self actualisation/realisation if you like. I have done quite a bit of that for myself sometimes against the odds. And I have been given more than I could believe was possible and so I try to use that which I have been given. Hence this mad bike trip and the connected fund raising for KAPC in Kenya.

Best to all,

Bill on bike.

No comments: