Thursday 17 May 2007

Zen and Moscow

Hi,

Back on the bike after one week off it and it's glorious even though it is raining a bit! I had work trips to York and Moscow. Moscow was mad the drivers are crazy virtually gridlocked most of the time and I didn't see one cyclist during the 4 days I was there!

But I took my new copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance with me and read it for the 4th or 5th time and it was a delight on many levels. "The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower. To think otherwise is to demean the Buddha - which is to demean oneself".

There's lots more including his delight in B and minor roads and the people who use them and live on them. His book is also about the inner journey as well as the outer journey and a few friends have been commenting on this to me. In a small way my trips to York and Moscow have been such journeys if not on bike and there is something about the aloneness of journeying that feeds my soul as well as brings a whole new series of experiences to me.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: