Wednesday 30 May 2007

My trip as a pilgrimage

Hi,

It rained yet again en route to work from Dee's. Talking to Dee I realised that my LEJOG trip would affect me in many ways not all of which could be predicted in advance. Certainly here will be some kind of inner journeying to match the outer one.

I expect there will be some weird and hopefully wonderful blogs to post here. There may well be times of sudden and useful insights and I expect times of emptiness like occur on my training days.

I think passing through the landscape will affect me. Will my Celtic blood respond to Cornwall and Devon? Passing through the Welsh borders I will be close to where my Great grandfather the Rev Thomas Lewis was born and grow up. So who knows there might be a sermon to blog! Like my Dad I have always had a thing about the North of Britain and I have never yet witnessed the Northern Lights but were they to happen on my trip that would leave me speechless.

It begins to feel awesome, I only hope me and the bike last out. I am finalising places to stay right now which brings it all even closer. I'll ask for your prayers and support later on!

Best to all,

Bill on bike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
u travel accross landscapes, i travel accross seas.Is there a 'fever' in journeying for soulful reasons, whatever the vehicle?

“Sea-Fever”
I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

By John Masefield