Thursday 31 May 2007

Response to F the Greek

Hi,

If you visit my posting from yesterday entitled 'Pilgrimage' you will find a comment from F the Greek which includes an absolutely delightful poem by John Masefield about the lure of the sea.

Also included is the following:
"u travel accross landscapes, i travel accross seas.Is there a 'fever' in journeying for soulful reasons, whatever the vehicle?"
I don't experience it as a fever but I do like to travel from time to time to put myself at the mercy of the elements, people and the unknown and to indwell. I think it is a form of solitude for me. Travelling on my bike gives me that is a very special way but so can trains and planes.

But there is something different about so travelling from here to somewhere else and staying there. My LELJOG will be a continual journey for 2 weeks with a different place each night and I will be on the road most of the time. I haven't done a trip like this in ages. It is an adventure and it is unpredictable.

Thanks F for your response,

Best to all,

Bill on bike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i see what you mean.....so, i guess the 'fever' i am referring to as emerging from or felt during my own journeying maybe has some links with some kind of 'shamanic' dimensions you have mentioned to me in the past. This is referring to the inner journeys really which reminds me of the phrase 'do travel to meet yourself'.
On the more practical side, i know that i get a bit feverish when I travel from rainy England to more sunny Greece or the other way around, temperature differences, sky and sea colour, different air density, odours and the like bring more vivid and visceral responses to leaving a place and going to another. Good to remember doing grounding exercises!