Tuesday 8 May 2007

Rain, whippets and hams

Hi,

It was raining when I left home for work this morning. It was mizzling but it soon turned into a drizzle and then it set in. Yes we have over 40 words for rain in Manchester! Climate change made dry up the South East of England and turn it into a desert but up North I think we heading for swamps, who knows Manchester could become the new Glastonbury!

My body is changing shape in curious ways and this is not just my poetic fantasies it's actually been commented on extensively mostly by my female friends I have to say. They keep saying I look thinner and fitter whilst my old male friend whose commented said I looked older. (Thanks I really needed to hear that, not!)I have lost 2 inches off my waist since September, I know this because I have had to tighten my belt twice. The upside of this is that a pair of trousers I bought on impulse 5 years ago and only wore once now fit me OK.

But it is my legs that have changed most. Whilst below the knees my calves are shaping up nicely whippet-like my thighs have turned into, well the only word to describe them is hams! It looks like I have been working out like a bodybuilder but only doing exercises on my thighs.

You might be thinking now that you have heard more than you want to know! So back to poetry. A poem came to me just before Christmas on the way to Dee's so I quickly wrote it down and later polished it up a bit and I then sent it to my friend Chris Jenkins (my birthday do MC) who edits Thresholds the journal of the APSCC and it will be in print this month (May). This is my first poem for 20 years or more and first one in print since the early 1970s. If you want a copy and don't get Thresholds sent me an email. The poem is called Spiritual Suffering!

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: