Friday 1 May 2009

Two poems

The first poem I wrote early in the 1970s I think. I then burnt it and all my other poetry from that time along with several unpublishable novels. I remembered the poem this morning. I once declaimed it at an Indian restaurant in Hull to an audience of two - my friend Liz and her bloke at the time. A lot of my very few poetry recitals have curiously occurred in Indian restaurants!

Dorothy Wordsworth Poem

I was into Wordsworth
Once
Had a girl called Dorothy
I've still got Wordsworth

Actually Dorothy and I never really got it on but it makes for better poetry to suggest we did(?).

The first line for this next poem came to me just as I was falling asleep last night. I took the risk of not writing it done and fortunately I woke up with the whole first verse in my mind.

I was a young man once

I was a young man
Once
And young women
Fell naked at my feet
Or they so did
In my dreams.

I was a young man
Once
And had a trial
For Aston Villa
Or surely would have done
If they had only answered my letters

I was a young man
Once
And the world was mine
I was a pop star
A poet
A writer
An explorer
And
An Astronomer

But no-one could see
And I grew up

No comments: