Friday 2 May 2008

Bike cycle story part two and three

Hi, a few days ago I posted my bike cycle poem which I received 2 welcome comments to me about it. You will recall that it was the first chapter maybe of an abandoned novel that worked as a poem (or possibly a short story). Here is the second extract that does not work as a poem, and the third which follows later does.

'What's happened to him? He's usually home by now. The meal's ready. I'll have a glass of wine' She paces restlessly up and down, picking things up - a knife here a plate there and almost immediately putting them down.

Time passes. 'Oh I wonder where he is. Who can I ring? Jonathan?'
"Hello Jonathan? It's Maria, Yes... Have you seen Matthew"
"Hi Maria. No, not since Tuesday."
"Oh, erm.."
"Has he not come home?"
"No... but he goes to his therapist after work..."
"Maybe he has stopped off somewhere, some place to think"
"No" sounding irritated, "No, No, err... Maybe I guess so but-"
"I shouldn't worry"
"No, you're right but I do"
"Why not wait until closing time and then worry"
"OK"
"You don't sound convinced"
"Well, it's not like him"
"Look, if I can help in anyway..." ('Well meaning but totally useless as usual!')
"Thanks" (Through gritted teeth)
"Let me know when he comes in"
"I will. Bye" (No way)
"Bye"

I feel worse now. Jonathan was not much help. I turn off the oven but I am not hungry - I feel tight in my stomach, a dread knot of tension. What if?.... Closing time seems so long away and time passes slowly and watching TV does not help. I could ring my friends but that wont help me find him. Oh where is he.

It's 11.30 now and time to ring the police. They are sympathetic but the questions...

Bike cycle poem Part Three

Oh my God
They've found his bike
But they haven't found him
Where is he?
Is he dead?
Crazy?
Lost his memory?
Run away?
From me?!
Why?
Is he lying in a ditch somewhere?
Hurt?
What's happened?
What is happening to me?
What can I do?

I can clean the house
I can cook the supper
I can sit and stare at the wall
Help me someone

1 comment:

Behr Palomo said...

Hi Bill, I was just reading about your fund raising trip and was wondering how I could go about doing the same. I'm in Israel right now, planning to bicycle from Turkey to the Atlantic starting in August.