Wednesday 14 May 2008

Piano

So last night I had my third piano lesson with my amazing teacher Rebecca. Now get this she got me to place a couple of pieces using both hands more or less simultaneously! So what you might think any idiot who plays the piano uses two hands. But remember 2 weeks ago I had never played a piano or had any confidence in my musical ability after some appalling early experiences I blogged about 3 weeks or so ago.

I can actually recognise the tunes I am playing. This morning for the first time I tried playing Good King Wencelas and it was recognised not just by me but by the long suffering Sheila. So who knows it might just be 'A red letter day' for Xmas maybe even 'West End Girls' - but have you tried singing that?

I don't know here this piano stuff will end. I started merely to find out if it was possible after Emily had showed me a little. Now I am hooked and playing stuff I never thought I would be able to. It's not even Grade 1 but I have surpassed my own expectations. I am learning a lot about learning in all of this. How much bad teaching reinforces lack of self belief. All my life I have loved music and never felt outside of the bathroom I could sing it or play it. Well I have blown that nonsense away.

I have always thought "do more of what you love" was a great cure for most ill health. The piano book Rebecca suggested I buy is called "You are never too old to learn to play the piano". They are many things we can learn at any age. Go for it!

Incidentally learning a musical instrument was one of my retirement fantasies but why wait? Who knows what's next meanwhile I am not waiting to live or to pick up any of my hopes and dreams.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: