Tuesday 13 May 2008

On meeting the ancient mariner in Cardiff Bay

Hi,

I re-met an old friend of mine in Cardiff Bay whilst at the conference there. Those of you of an English literary bent - or like me forced to learns poetry at secondary school - will be familiar with Coleridge's Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. A wedding guest, I think it might be the groom? - is stopped on route to a wedding by an ancient mariner who spins a web of story telling about a sea voyage including an encounter with an albatross etc.

On meeting the ancient mariner in Cardiff Bay


I met the ancient mariner
Who held me
Spellbound
With his intense gaze
With his compelling story of seas crossed
Of people met
Of his loneliness
His need for an audience

Eventually we parted
He to find his next listener
Me wiser
More ready than ever
To do my own ocean goings

Have I already become the ancient mariner myself?
And found my captive audience?


Best to all,

Bill-on-bike

No comments: