Friday 5 October 2007

On the road aagin

Hi,

Just back from a 45 mile (re)training trip as I intend to complete my LEJOG journey over Thursday 25th-Sunday 28th October. Part of this trip today was from 5 miles South of Knutsford to my home in Manchester - a total of 22 miles, probably not the shortest but the most interesting route. This means I now have my home to Edinburgh train station to complete something over 200 miles. I am aiming at 60 miles a day to allow for me to get lost or hit any other snags as my back-up team will be with granny in Norfolk.

However, I have just signed up to the ETA cycle rescue service which means that if my bike breaks down - apart from a puncture - the will come and rescue me, and fix me or take me to the nearest bike shop or even home.

Meanwhile the bike-with-too-many-names is now at Cyclelogic having its gear changer fixed, a new front tyre, new break blocks and a general looking over ready for the trip. I am excited and apprehensive. The distances I travelled on the trip are awesome (80 miles one day!) and it is only doing 45 miles today that gives me confidence.

I have fantasied about cycling in Kenya but after my last trip seeing the state of the roads etc I think it is probably beyond me or would need a very careful choice of route. There are organised trips in other parts of Africa so who knows...

Doing my online diary for Quakers was great fun last week apparently I had over 600 hits in the week though there was no facility to post people's responses. You can still visit it if you like - www.quaker.org.uk/sing

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: