Friday 19 October 2007

Chomping at the bit

Hi,

Raring to go, very excited about the prospect of cycling from Manchester to Edinburgh. Apart from the odd shower the weather has been wonderful and Autumnal which I really like. There was a marvelous sunrise this morning and the sunsets and clear blue skies in recent days have been inspiring. So I hope to see more on the final bit of my LEJOG journey.

I met Dawn E recently and she asked about what when on for me on the ride in August. It is hard to articulate it and I hope when I return to the trip next Thursday that I will find more words to describe it.

I mused on some things that troubled me, some things that troubled me I thought I would muse on I didn't, some things I didn't know troubled me I mused on. Not all my musing was on troubles. There were also times when I felt lonely and wondered why I was not with Grace and Sheila. Mostly I was travelling in the moment sometimes empty sometimes full of the experience. A kind of extended meditation or Quaker worship.

Once in a while I was bored but mostly not. This cycling thing feeds and satisfies a need for solitude in me. Things come to me in solitude - solutions to problems or at least the next steps, bits of writing, other bits if inspiration. I also get this from people in conversation. People give me so much. So I move between people and solitude. Hmm that will do - thanks Dawn.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: