Monday 29 October 2007

Done and dusted (well savloned1)

Weeeellll,

It's complete the whole sheebang! I did the final 230 miles Manchester to Edinburgh over 4 days - see extracts from my diary below. So my mileage total for the whole trip is 762+22+230 = 1014 miles. It would have been a bit less if I hadn't got lost regularly!

Thanks to all my supporters especially my sponsors and my back up team of Grace and Sheila. This site has had over a 1,000 hits which has been especially encouraging.
My trip went like this:
1) Lands End to Knutsford near Manchester
2) Edinburgh to John O'Groats
3) Knutsford to Manchester
4) Manchester to Edinburgh

I feel tired, a bit sore, but delighted. I have faced some demons and fears and potential failure and come through.

Thursday 25th October Manchester to High Bentham 60 miles

It was a real treat to get out of Manchester on a cycle track mostly off road on canal paths and in woods. After Whalley the route got more hilly and I got slower but I managed 40 mph down hill my fastest speed on the whole LEJOG trip.

It was great to stay with old friends Peter and Mary and reminisce a bit about old times and catch up on the new. My gears have been less than perfect but I managed. I feel remarkably well tonight. I saw some stunning views today and would love to re-visit.

Friday 26th October to Kirkoswald (just north of Lazonby) 58 miles

I made good time today and arrived by 4pm. The simple delights of a hot shower, a drink of tea and a warm room after cycling. It was cooler today but no rain as yet. I found a tea room in Orton on route and had hot chocolate and a bacon sandwich - bliss.

My friend Pete rode 5 miles with me from Bentham which was a real treat. He was my one and only travelling companion on the whole trip as it turned out. He told me how he read that men need a mission which makes sense of some of my musings about this trip.

This bit of my trip is now half complete I hope the rest goes as well!

Saturday 27th October to Bush of Ewes (5 miles north of Longholm) 43 miles

Shorter route today as I could not find a B and B further up. So I arrived in very good time just ahead of the rain although I passed through one shower. I could not finish my full English breakfast this morning (after steak and ale pie in the pub the night before) so my pit stops were mostly for hot drinks.

I am glad to be in the dry and hope for good weather tomorrow.

Sunday 28th To Edinburgh 69 miles

The wind and the rain woke me up in the night and when I woke up at 6am winter time it was misty and wet outside but it was clearer when I left at 8am.

I made such good time and reached Edinburgh railway station at about 3.45pm. The journey was wonderful with sunshine most of the way and such lovely views, with crisp cool air.

I was unable to catch an earlier train as all the bike spaces were booked up on it and they were turning people away (4 bike slots per train is not enough!) So I hung out in a cafe near the station feeling a bit spaced out and tired but so so pleased. Grace missed me and I missed her and Sheila but I needed to see this trip off and now I have done so.

I so much like cycling in Scotland and want to return soon. I am no speedy cyclist, never was and never will be. I plod on and get there in the end. Today I averaged over 9 miles per hour - the earlier part of my trip would have been so much easier at that pace but with those Dorset and Devon hills it would not have been possible for me at my current level of fitness.

Maybe one day I will do this again with travelling companions and all in one go. Or maybe the alternative Dover to the North of Scotland? Or a trip in Africa? Who knows? For now I am glad to be home and have no immediate desire to make another bike trip!

Looks like I have raised over £1000. I gather the remaining money and count it all up soon and let you know.

Best to all,

Bill on Bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very many congratulations on your mammoth achievement, William. Sheila and Grace must be a very proud back-up team?
Graham & Valerie