Wednesday 2 September 2009

Octaves

Regular readers of this blog will know about my challenges with music and my recent taking up of the piano and singing lessons. Last week was my daughter Grace's birthday and in an attempt to wean her off Abba (There is only so many times one can bear to hear 'Dancing queen'!) my wife Sheila brought her a double CD of 60s music. That was more like it.

So on the journey back from the Norfolk Broads (and that's another story or blog entry) I found myself singing along to some of those familiar tunes - Tossing and Turning, I can't let Maggie go, I'm a believer etc. I was signing higher up the scale than usual fairly effortlessly almost falsetto.

Last night with my piano teacher Rebbecca I explored this with her help. I can't remember the exact musical stuff involved but my higher up singing involves resonance in my head and the lower stuff comes from my chest or my belly. The challenge is the crossover between the two BUT I have nearly 2 octaves now. I am stunned. That's almost twice what I had previously!

I am no spring chicken - all singing all dancing 60th birthday coming soon. When I was at primary school my music teacher told me to mime. No one put an instrument in my hand and said, 'Try this' no one said 'Try and sing this'. I have loved music all my life and now have found a teacher helping me explore what music I can make. The sky is not the limit. I am not a brilliant natural musician or singer but I do want to push this one as far as it goes for my own pleasure and who knows...

There is a profound lesson here.

I have been a writer all my life and finally I have a couple of ace writing teachers.

Christ I am thankful.

No comments: