Tuesday 1 September 2009

Ecstasy

Cycling into work today after a 2 week break the Autumnal sun is in my eyes but I don't mind I am so glad to be out on the bike again even if I am on my way to work!

The piano solo from Thunderclap Newman's 'Something in the air' is playing in my mind and I think I could die happy if I could play that. Maybe it is not too difficult. You might think it is trashy pop from 1969(?) but that solo lifts my spirits. So maybe ecstasy is in the soul of the beholder :)

I have just read the latest issue of Literally the fanzine for Petheads and in it there are extracts from Neil Tenant's diary when they were working on and recording the current album. I am staggered by the hard work they but in, the long hours of slog, the music and lyrics that don't get into the final version. It makes me think about writing or any creative process and that point when you look at what you create and you think 'Yes'.

The Pets worked with Xenomania on their current album and you can hear how they have been sparked by working with these hip pop producers. I have had this experience with Tony and Steve of Paper Planes where they have led me into more creativity. Some of this has rubbed off on the academic in me but I need time in the academic studio with a good producer!

Best to all,

Bill on bike.

No comments: