Tuesday 31 March 2009

My other bike is a Dawes

I have been riding Sheila's bike the last couple of days since my bike - the Bike-with-no-name aka Florence is having its biannual service. So passing another cyclist this morning I wanted to yell out 'My other bike is a Dawes!'. Dawes are maybe the Rolls Royce of bikes but actually lighter and more streamlined than that image. II was recommended getting one for my LEJOG trip but others said your Pioneer bike will do it OK and it did.

As readers of this blog with more memory than sense will recall I brought my bike-with-no-name using advance royalties for my first book book - summer 1999 - hey that means the bike has its 10th birthday soon. Well I have just had the latest royalties for a 6 month period on this book of £34.72! Well at least it is still selling a little and my 3rd book published in North America in 2005 is giving me 600 dollars for last year's sales - neat that the pound is low against the dollar just now! So I am not about to retire just yet on my royalties.

It's not the royalties thought hat matter its my readership. I do get the odd email (some very odd :)!) from people who really value what I have written and that feels great. I try and make a habit of writing fan letters/emails to people when their writings really reaches me - do do the same. It is too rare that this happens.

Back to Sheila's bike, it is older and lighter than mine with drop handlebars which I don't like and I feel a bit clumsy on it. Nonetheless I have had great pleasure using her bike, just the simple enjoyment of cycling and letting my mind wander. These have been tough days of late and such simple pleasures have kept me going as have support from my friends and colleagues. My unwanted advise to anyone is find the physical activity that you most enjoy (apart from sex) and do more of it!

Best to all,

Bill-on-bike

No comments: