Thursday 17 July 2008

Relating

One of my students commented recently how she felt I treated her and the others more as equals than many lecturers do. That's set me thinking.

1) I offer what I wished I got and sometimes did not.
2) It fits with my humanistic/Quaker value system. "You say you better than no-one/and no-one is better than you". "All men (and women!) are created equal". "We are all equal in the sight of God".
3) I have always had so much inside that needed to be expressed, I needed help and inspiration from teachers but not filling up, not rote learning.
4) I often could not voice my truth I hid it away and acted dumb or insolent.
5) My dad found it hard to hear my truth when it differed from his.
6) My upbringing was a bit Victorian at times - 'children should be seen and not heard'.
7) As a teenager and a young man I found most adults conservative and dull.
8) Meeting elderly Quakers in 1990 was mind blowing they looked like my dad but were radicals. Suddenly I could trust some people over 40 - I was 40 myself then!
9) I have had some amazing teachers - Dennis Handley (Primary Head), Jake Potter and Charles ?(Grammar school teachers) John McLeod (MA/PhD), Prem (Yoga) Peter Jones (Reichian therapy) Dorothy Lewis (Colour Healing) Tony Slides (creative writing) Grace (my daughter), my mum...

Best to all,

Bill on bike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks William! yes, there is reciprocity, mutuality and spiritual connection...when one has an attitude that we are all equal in God's eyes (and i dont mean that only in the usual 'churchy' way), then power is handled differently and there is that energy that permeates all that leads the dynamics, if we attent to it and respect it...i am often guided by the fact that you question 'what does God want me to do or be now?...in this situation, with that person and so on' and i think that comes across in the way you respond to your students too, F.

ANTHONY SIDES said...
This comment has been removed by the author.