Thursday 31 January 2008

Kenya and a poem

Hi,

I still remain very very troubled about events in Kenya, the word 'failed state' is being used by some comentators as a possible future for Kenya. This is my worse fear or nightmare - that all the beauty and energy of its people will get wasted. It can happen to any of us potentially, we all have our shadow sides. With some good leadership the troubles in Kenya can be turned round. Anyway I received an email from Don Balmer of KAPC this in part follows:

"It seems to be getting to a position where a political resolution might be difficult given the amount of civil unrest. The real position is so complex I suspect nobody has a complete view. Our view will be different from yours and you will think we know more than you, but the reality is you see things that we don't.
KAPC is being asked to provide counsellors for a number of organisations and we are responding. Cecilia is at a meeting with IOM this afternoon which could develop into a intersting partnership. Counsellors perhaps do not feel quite as helpless as others as they have a role to play and can feel of benefit.

"If and when the situation does normalise it is going to take a long time to get back to normal. The VSO volunteer we had to help with marketing has been recalled and is leaving for at least 4 weeks. One of the local trusts has postponed activities that could have provided us with funds for a play therapy programme. So all of these things impact upon us.

"All in all we react on an hourly basis. People in KAPC are supportive of each other so perhaps we are in the best place."

So I am on the way for an occasional lunch with my friend Keith who I have blogged about before and a poem comes to me. No paper, no pen on me. Do I wait until I get to his place and then say, "Ignore me for 5 minutes" No and it might diasppear. (I once in 1973 had to borrow a pen on a cross chanel ferry when 'Some P poems' a sequence of about 5 of them came to me) So I dive into the nearest stationary shop for a pen and paper.

Kenya poem

I had to speak
At a conference
In Bangalore in India
About my research in Kenya

Now I've done this many times before
But this time
I kept thinking
About my friends there
About the shocking tales of violence
And the degradation of that beautiful country

So I wept

This is not ususal
In academic keynote speeches
But my audience hearts went out to me

I've never touched so many people before

Best to all,

Bill

No comments: