Tuesday 29 January 2008

Biking and Kenya

Hi,

I am very troubled today by the TV news and newspaper reports on Kenya. Although Kofi Annan is getting both sides together which is a great start there is increasing reports of tribal violence. A UN spokesman on TV last night talked about making the temporary camps for displaced people more organised. Fine but it points to a long drawn out process for the people in the camps.

I have met many fine Kenyans over the past 4 years which is why the news there is especially troubling for me. It is important that we don't see this as typically Africa and distance ourselves from it. We are not so far away from such troubles in Britain. Riots do happen here, as does racial and ethnic violence. Kenyans are not some Other people to us in the West. They are just the same as us, good and bad, loving parents etc.

Biking feels good today I am back in the thick of it after my winter break from cycling. I miss my all day training sessions and dare I say it the preparation and challenge of the LEJOG trip. Maybe I will do a training session soon and who knows one of these days another long trip!

Best to all,

Bill on Bike
PS I have just emailed Don Balmer of KAPC Kenya for some more news which I will post here.

No comments: