Tuesday 15 January 2008

Blogging from Bangalore

It si very difficult to capture the shock of the impact of India n me on this first ever visit. It is similar in some ways to Africa but different again. The noise, the fumes, the traffic beggars believe, the rickshaws, the cows, the bright colours of the clothes, the tenderness and open displays of affection between the men, the politeness, everyone says Yes to questions but then actions don't always follow, Indian time - every arrangement is approximate in its timing, things takes forever, its frustrating and I have received a high quality of care and attentiveness that I am not used to.

When I broke down and wept in my keynote conference speech to 4 or 500 people I became 'Indian' in that moment and their hearts went out to me. They seem much more direct and their feelings seem closer to the surface than white Brits.

India has called forth the spiritual side of me and I have responded. The deep spiritual culture here has to be experienced to be understood. I now now more and deeper what Pittu Laungani and other Indians I know were telling me.

Bangalore is in many ways like Nairobi - terrible roads, traffic and fumes, similar wretched poverty, even more wealth here I suspect, and labour and life seems cheap. But Bagalore does not (yet) have such a big HIV problem or currently (much) tribal conflict. African men seems more macho than Indian men and less emotional or demonstrative in my presence. Both seem equally polite and willing to be of service. And maybe African time is similar to Indian time.

Best to all,

Bill on rickshaw

No comments: