Thursday 9 October 2008

Making a mess of a puncture repair

OK so it wasn't the best day for it. My real boss had been unable to secure any improvements in my team's contracts - despite all the extra work we were all doing - and they were all fed and pissed off and told me so - as if I had any power over contacts or budgets! Then I was carpeted for not doing some paperwork - Frankie where are you when I need you? (Singing "Frankie come back" to the tune of 'Baby come back' originally recorded by the Equals back in 1967 or 8? And then done again a bit more recently. I have a sudden flashback to the last day of my grammar school in 1968 up in the prefects room (Yes dear reader I was prefect but hated it and wished I had refused it) we had all been out for a lunch time drink and were a bit pissed and joyously had an impromptu sing of 'Baby come back' with one guitar and a lot of us improvising percussion.)

I turns me bike upside down, levers out most of the inner tube and begins to pump it up. I can hear the air leaking out but I can't quite find it. So I turn the wheel, lever out some more inner tube and pump some more. I can still hear it so I turn the wheel some more and then the bike falls over, the pump snaps, part of the pump attached to the valve breaks the valve, so I have lost one pump and one inner tube since a tube without a valve is useless - which is how I felt!

I do have a spare inner tube from my LEJOG days but no pump and no confidence that if I take off the back wheel to fit the new inner tube that I will easily be able to get it back on. I knew I should have stayed in bed.

Bill still not back on bike and grumpy!

No comments: