Thursday 12 June 2008

Bike thought/you were always on my mind

OK so there I was on the bike cycling through Alexander Park - this was the park where I had one of my early spiritual experiences back in 1970, more recently I had to stop my bike to catch a falling poem ('Catch a falling poem and put it in your pocket/never let it fade away' to the tune of that last 50s song 'Catch a falling star').

So I am singing 'You were always on my mind' Pet Shop Boys style not Elvis. The difference apart from arguably Elvis has the better voice, is that Elvis does regret his failings and you think maybe he might just win his woman back. In contrast Neil end up with a final line of 'Maybe I didn't love you' in other words he recognises that his failure was a statement about the relationship and not about his failure to love.

Anyway leaving all that aside I took a leaf out Neil's approach to his and other song writers' lyrics and to see if the words worked on a different level.

OK get this, sing the first verse:

Maybe I didn't treat you
quite as good as I should
Maybe I didn't love you
quite as often as I could
Little things I should have said and done
I never took the time
You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind

As if you were singing to our planet! 'The little things I should have said and done' are illustrated by a video of humans - us - throwing away waste, sitting in traffic jams - the whole bit by bit way we lay waste to our planet. What do you think? email me or Frankie.

Best to all,

Bill-on-bike, Frankie on keyboard

No comments: