Friday 31 August 2007

You're an inspiration

Hi,

Just bumped into Andy at work another keen cyclist who commented 'You're an inspiration!' Nice one. I am learning to own what I have achieved in doing 762 miles so far rather than see it as a failure to do the whole thing in one go.

I am still adjusting to life after this big journeying, both physically and also at other levels of my being. I am still digesting what it all meant. I'll write more about this here when I can.

On Monday morning very early I am off to Kenya for 8 days to speak at a conference there, to hand out some certificates on behalf of my university and to meet some new students there. I will also be talking about my LEJOG ride and arranging to put the money raised to good use. People are still giving me money for it so don't fee shy!

As some of you know I am part of a group called the Manchester Centre for Urban Spirituality and I will be running a bike pilgrimage with them in the Autumn. This will involve the maximum of 13 miles cycling with plenty of time to rest and reflect and picnic. The idea will be to be open to how cycling is a spiritual activity and I will give participants thoughts to reflect on and opportunities to share. details follow.

Best to all,

Bill on bike
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MC4uS

Biking Pilgrimage

Many people speak of their spiritual life as a journey and there is a long tradition of walking retreats or pilgrimages. I have found recently doing regular cycling trips that there is an easy spiritual aspect to cycling – something about being somewhat self contained even when cycling in groups and how the physical exercise itself can take on a spiritual dimension much as yoga does.

The day will be led by William West. The route we will follow will take us along the Withington loop which is a cycle route mostly off road. There will be backup available. Obviously you need a bike to take part but we wont be doing Tour De France distances(!) Indeed we expect to cover 15 miles maximum on the day so there will be plenty of time for rest and reflection built in. Bring a picnic lunch. Tea and coffee will be available at the start and finish.

This is a new venture for MC4US and also it will be held on a Friday rather than our usual Saturdays so we would appreciate early expression of interest

Date: Friday October 12th

Time: Meet at 10am end at 4pm

Cost: £5 per head

To book e.mail office@manchesterspirituality.org or call 0161 274 3995.

www.manchesterspirituality.org

No comments: