Wednesday 22 August 2007

Learnings for other would-be End to Enders

Hi,

I thought it might be useful to sum up some of what I have learnt on my LEJOG trip so far:
1) Figure out what kind of mileage you would like to aim for each day and take 10 miles off that figure.
2) This allows for getting lost since I found however clear the directions I was following however clear my maps seemed the actual land was different. Signposts pointed to places not on the map, I passed through places not on signposts. T junctions mysteriously became cross roads and vice versa. National Cycle Network signs suddenly stopped and then would reappear.
3) It also allows for bad weather and steeper than expected hills. Devon and Cornwall were especially bad. I found very steep hills often impossible to climb and then very steep descents where brakes were necessary due to winding lanes with tall hedges. In contrast the feared Highlands of Scotland were a gem to cycle.
4) Expect the unexpected at the least likely time!
5) Be prepared to change you stopover arrangements - treat everything as provisional
6) It was great having a back up crew but tough on them.

If I was doing it again, I would prepare a little bit more in terms of trips over more than one day. I would aim to do only 60 miles in a day and probably join an organised trip to take some of the weight of me and my back up crew.

Having written all of the above my trip so far has been extraordinary, I have gained so much from doing it on many levels and am intensely grateful to my back up team of Sheila and Grace.

More from my travel diary soon,

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: