Monday 20 August 2007

Suffering with

Hi,

One of the surprises of this trip was how much people responded to me. I had a sign on my bike saying "Biking from Lands End to John O'Groats, supporting HIV work in Kenya.

People tooted their car horns regularly and shouted out words of encouragement - 'Go for it' 'Well done'. People twice gave me money out of car windows and strangers regularly approached me on the streets and gave me money. Even 3 of our B and B landlord/ladies gave us money. It was heartening.

I reflected on this as I cycled. Sure there is a response in this to HIV and Kenya which is great. And there is something about me choosing to do this mammoth cycle ride about 1000 miles that people responded to. You will appreciate from the blog picture that I am not lycra clad, nor is my bike light and thin, and I am clearly middle aged and grey.

So it was over 9 hours cycling more or less continuous each day on the bike to do my average of 70 miles. It was fun, tiring, monoteneous, boring, hard work, time stood still and sometimes raced and the inner journey was something else.

Basically it was about suffering, voluntary suffering, suffering with if you like. And I think people responded to this. It was a kind of post modern secular pilgrimage. At times I felt lonely and thought why am I doing this mad thing? It would be much easier just to raise money some other way. But it was there for me to do, a mad (possibly male) thing.

And when it was over at the end of the day I can't tell you how wonderful a warm bed and warm food was. I was so appreciative of the ordinary. I wont forget this for a long time. And nor will my body and nor will my back up team!

Best to all,

Bill on bike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done William!!
It was lovely to see you and Gay and Emily just before your epic ride and we're very proud to hear you've done so well. We'll be interested to hear how much you raised in due course,
lots of love for now, Sue and Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi William,
Glad to hear that you are home safe and sound.
Congratulations on your achievement....a real triumph I think!
Heres hoping for a quick recovery and a lasting benefit from your oddysey