Tuesday 10 February 2009

February made me shiver

Back on the bike after such strange weather snow and frost and so cold. Two people I know both had accidents recently both broke their hips falling off their bikes in icy weather.This morning it was milder beautiful colours in the sky pinks and yellows and grey as the clouds caught the sunshine. It was good to be alive.

It's been a trying time, it seems like any further development of my Kenyan work in terms of recruiting any new students is blocked for now. I am still endlessly figuring it and looking for ways through but it looks blocked, and I am tired. So unpromoted and thwarted with regards to Kenya I am having to remind myself of the work that I do enjoy doing with my students and colleagues.

I was thinking today, on the bike, as I often do about my LEJOG (Lands End End to John O'Groats for new visitors) bike trip two years ago. What a mad thing to do! I was reasonably well prepared but heck. I have a whole series of inner photographs of the extraordinary landscapes I saw. I want so much to go back and soak up the beauty more deeply but that means biking it I guess and doing it slowly. It was like an extended retreat. I want to do it or something similar again soonish but it will have to wait. I guess it is time for another dayout on the bike today would have been perfect if the weather stayed the same but I suspect we have rain and possibly snow again on the way.

Bill-on-bike

No comments: