Monday 15 March 2010

Back in Kenya

I am just back from a week's intensive teaching in Kenya. When I arrived it was raining and for the first few days it got colder - just as bad as the Manchester I had left! Was the weather taking the piss or what? However the last few days were more typical - sunny warm Nairobi days.

My students were a bit subdued on the first day back but became more relaxed and animated the second day onwards. By the third day I was feeling a bit homesick and lonely despite the company of my travelling companion and fellow teacher John.

On the fourth day I felt much more settled and at home and on the fifth day I didn't want my visit to end!

I felt we worked ourselves and the students hard but it was also enjoyable. They have a rich and ribald sense of humour even in mixed company! On most days from time to time there was a loud thump on the roof as a ripe mango fell from the over arching tree. We collected these and eat them during our breaks along with what Kenyans call 'bitings' what we might call nibbles.

I cried just before the final day's teaching ended. I was so moved by what they had achieved despite the challenges including IT - that we faced. I guess it expressed my anxieties about whether things would work out well enough which they did.

I shall be back with them again in another 6 months or so and will be in regular email contact with them in between.

My re-entry into my 'ordinary' life in Britain is taking a bit of time. This part of Africa has got under my skin in so many ways and I am lucky to have this chance to play my part.

[In Kenya and on the plane on the way back I was visited by the Mystic Detective - more on him soon.]