Thursday 7 January 2010

Sixty plus

OK so work is snow closed and I am 'working from home' actually I got more done at home yesterday than I would have at work. It was so quiet as my nearest and dearest were out at friends and sledging in the local park. I really enjoyed the solitude and it gave me a flavour of possible future post retirement life. When I can have times of quiet and writing I become calmer and I like myself more. Then out of this solitude I can then move out into the world. So the one feeds the other. It matches my sense for some time now that I don't have enough time alone.

Anyway I have applied online for a senior railcard and I rang up yesterday for a free bus pass - well I might as well make the most of it! - and the young man there treated me with respect. This being 60 could be OK if if was being treated with respect rather than being patronised. I rather like the idea that I could choose when to reveal I am 60+ although my thinning greying hair might give me away in any case :).

I want to feel that being 60 is not the end but merely another stage in my life and that I have something to contribute whether or not I continue to work full-time at a prestigious university. I am hoping that the recent increase in the number of gigs* I have been getting will continue into the future.

*Gigs is where I get invite to speak for an hour, or run a workshop for an afternoon, day or weekend. Until recently I used to accept these offers somewhat sparingly but last year I accepted almost everyone just to see. I have had a whale of a time doing them, taking my ideas out on the road. If you add to this my recent poetry readings as a Manky and birthday poet (no I didn't say birthday suit poet - what an idea!) and a future of various audiences with William West emerges. That would be 60+ living for me.

Best to all,

Bill on bike (well not actually in the snow and ice!)