Tuesday 9 June 2009

Dark Cyclist meets a PED

(More creative writing)

The pedestrian looked rather warily at me but that was not surprising. I was wearing my all-in-one dayglo recyltex cyling suit and I was riding my 40 gear teckiebike with built in Britnav, shockers and electric spear so it was not surprising he might take me for being a Dark Cyclist.

The PED/Dark Cyclist violence had yet to start in my part of town but it was only a matter of time. Indeed the escalating patterns of conflict were already happening. There were recent reports of tacks strewn across cycle lanes and of pedestrians being beaten up although as yet these did not have all the hallmarks of a Dark Cyclist attack.

The PED no doubt had friends who'd been 'burned up' by Dark Cyclists riding them down-and-over leaving their signature burn marks on their bodies. The PED would be guessing that I had friends who been tacked, jacked and smacked with endless trips to the almost defunct local A and E Department - good only for anti tetanus and anti HIV jabs. Yes rape for men and women was often a feature of these attacks. Cyclists were increasing wearing defensive clothing like my all-in-one recyltex suit which was hard to rip with a knife, and which along with my Cyclealarm gave me some illusion of protection.

I passed the PED, dressed in the usual fashionable dark clothes that makes it so easy for them to blend into the background when cyclists are out and about, without incident, not even exchanging the ususal words of natural abuse
['Effing PED! 'Crappy cyclist!'] indeed if anything I heard a sigh of relief that matched my own.

No comments: