Monday 12 November 2007

Reflections on LEJOG

I'm back in Scotland on a work trip and reflecting on my LEJOG bike ride I find that various memories come crowding in:
* cycling through Tintagel in the (relatively) early morning mist and coming across various people dressed up in Arthurian clothes for a re-enactment festival.
* pushing the bike-with-too-many-names up an endless hill that seemed to go on for ever on a hot sunny day just outside South Molton
* buying a Cornish pastie in Boscastle and thinking about the flood they had
* over using my brakes down all those steep hills in Dorset and Devon
* the horrendous traffic and road layout in Monmouth and Ross-on-Wye. Why don't we ban all private traffic from town and city centres? Minimise any goods travelling by road?
* the early morning sunlight cycling out of Much Wenlock
* the B and Bs in Somerset and Black Isle
* arriving in High Bentham with a flood of memories from many previous visits from 1974, 1982 etc
* leaving Manchester via off road route up the Irwell valley
* crossing the Forth Road Bridge - magic
* the staggering beauty of the Scottish Highlands
* doing 80 miles in one day in the Highlands
* the generosity of people I met enroute
* my pleasure when my journey finally ended in Edinburgh at the railway station
* raising over £1000 and having over 1,000 hits on this blog site
* being able to do the LEJOG trip with no physical problems to me or bike.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: