Monday 26 February 2007

Kenya

Ooops,

Don Balmer from KAPC has just emailed me to say that I got their web address wrong. It's
www.kapc.or.ke and is well worth a visit. Maybe I can talk a bit about Kenya here. It was one of those life changing moments that just sort of happens. Maggie Robson from Durham (then) asked me up there sveral years to talk about spirituality and I got to meet Don, Cecilia, Gikundi and George and they asked me if my Uni would take over from Durham in validating an amazing MA programme they had in Counselling/HIV Counselling since Durham were closing their counseling department in an extraordinary bit of vandalism. I said yes. They also talked about the need for PhD study. On the way home I thought how crazy the economics were for individual Kenyan to come over to the UK for 3-4 years to live and study for a PhD. We have a thriving Professional taught Doctorate in Counselling (DCouns) as well as the more traditional PhD. So I thought how about teaching our Dcouns in Kenya. It has taken years to set this up so many commitees, so many people to meet, so much paperwork ina time when the Uni decdied to dissolve itself and join with UMIST and create a new Uni with new proceedures and much confusion. But we are nearly.

Meanwhile I have had 3 vists to Kenya so far that have been mind blowing and life changing. I wrote about my last visit with Colin Feltham for Therapy Today - Impressions of Kenya and its counselling Scene Colin Feltham & William West - Vol 16(9) 39-41. I can send you a copy if drop me an email. I'll post for more about my experiences of Kenya in due course incluidng their amazing cyclists!

Best for now,

William

No comments: