Tuesday 29 May 2018

The Boss meets Q his Spiritual Director once more


The Boss meets Q his Spiritual Director once more

      -          Hi Q.

-          Hi Boss…. How goes?

The Boss sits down in the usual comfortable chair in Q’s study and, as ever, admires the icon on the wall beside him.

-          I wont let myself be distracted by that wonderful icon.

Q nods.

-          The thing is now that I am, kind of retired (sucks air threw his teeth noisily)… need another word for retirement, but….the thing is, I feel that I should be offering some kind of care to others, maybe part of a charity or whatever but I don’t want to! And I feel guilty that I could be doing this good work but I wont. I keep coming back to this question but a small voice inside says ‘No’.
 
-          Hmm, how long has this been going on?
 
-          For years but when I was working full-time I could resist this without feeling much guilt. Indeed it was part of my fantasy retirement to do such good works but no. And every time I pose the question to myself the answer still comes back as ‘No’… So I guess I have to trust it.
 
-          Hmm…. And what then?
 
-          What then (Q nods) (the Boss sucks air in threw his teeth once more)…. Well, it might sound stupid but…..but I feel something is going on for me spiritually which I don’t truly understand – it may not even be helpful for me to understand it just yet…. So I have to be patience but (the Boss grits his teeth) that is hard for me!
-          Have you been there before?
-          (The Boss nods vigorously) Yes I have had moments of deep change in my life and they have taken years to happen.
-          Ah.
-          Yes, years and then it all makes sense. It feels like that I am in the middle of such a change now and just have to have patience.
-          Where else can you be?.... And what helps?
-          What helps?..... Talking with you, friends and family. Making sure that I am not going crazy…. Having some quiet times…. Long bikes and so on.
-          Sounds like you know what to do.
-          Hmm (grumpily) thought you say something like that.
-          Well…. If it true put it to use…. If it does not seem to be so let’s examine it again. Meanwhile keep talking.
-          Yeah (reluctantly).

No comments: