Friday 19 July 2013

Alexandra Park again

Alexandra Park is not quite local to me. I used to live nearby in my student days and had a profound mystical experience in the Park one fine Spring day in 1971 but that is another story! I cycle through Alexandra Park on my way to and from work and just recently they have begun demolishing both the long empty house by the park gates and the building that housed the Bee Hive playgroup. There is a third building about to be demolished also. This is all part of the plan to return the park to its ‘former glory days’ as a Victorian park. As part of the plan they earlier axed hundreds of trees a few months ago despite protests.

Now hopefully they will build some news buildings in due course but I can’t help thinking that the play group building could have had a change of use if it was no longer needed - perhaps as a park cafĂ©? Will better and more useful buildings be put up. I kind fo doubt it. And unlike the people who demolish buildings at the University there is no promise on their hoardings of re-cycling the materials from demolition.

I wish I could believe that something better was going to result from all of this destruction but I don’t.

No comments: