Friday 5 April 2013

Dilemma

OK so here's my dilemma. I have a good friend who is an award winning playwright and author who offered to read my Mystic Detective novel. She found it enjoyable and quirky but was not impressed by my plotting (neither am I!) and lack of real detective/police proceedures. She offered to help me work it up into something she felt would be publishable and possibly even a TV series.

The thing is with my experience of re-writing for academic publishing I hate re-writes and re-writes of re-writes and can you add this, reduce that etc. My passion shrivels up. Am I being too precious?

And the thing is I never meant Paul to be realistic. It was a bit of fun and I don't want him to be real. I love Raymond Chandler's detective Sam Spade but I don't think he is real and that detectives in LA in 1930 and 1940 were like that!

But I have dreamed of being a novelist and a poet all my life and instead I am forever being courted by academic publishers! But my pile of unpublished poems and novels gets higher and higher!

So dear friend what say you?

1 comment:

ANTHONY SIDES said...

Do it. This is an opportunity, and if it fizzles out you'll still have learned from it and placed yourself on the radar of new people. Passion's OK (though I'm wary of it)but a western US rancher in a documentary I saw talked about something else, in terms of cowboy and rodeo work and life; he called it, "Try." You can reach for it when passion wears thin.(As in, "This boy's got try.")
All the best, William