Monday 31 May 2010

Old poem

Way back in 1973 I wrote a poem that was published in an duplicated poetry magazine called Vole. In 1987 in a house fire a lot of poetry and books were burnt but I saved some scorched poetry magazines. In 1995 I threw away all the poetry I had written along with some unpublishable novels etc. Then of course a few years ago I started writing poetry again and wished I hadn't burnt my stuff. Two weeks ago I remembered the scorched magazine and I performed the following poem yesterday (and 10 days ago at Manky poets)

Some P Poems

'Nothin's gonna change my world'
you did

Cliches are useless
I have lost you

I'll mail me through the post
For I am a poem
Je suis un objet poetic

It was early very early
And I walked the streets
Of Calais crying

No longer have I you
All I have is the experience

In no way can our love
Be wiped out
It is stronger than our memories
Longer than our lives
Nothing can stop it

To travel is to suffer
At times
To live is to suffer
I love to live
I live to love
Love

Imagine me walking the streets of Calais
at 5 in the morning
Tears streaming my face
Imagine me asleep on the ferry
& awakening to find you
Not with me

Imagine you and me
Together again
Imagine love

No comments: