Wednesday 5 August 2009

The creature that I was meant to be

“I never dreamt that I would get to me
The creature that I always meant to be”- Pet Shop Boys, 'Being boring'.

Today I feel like that I am more back to myself. Work has gone quieter and I can hear myself think again for the first time for months or so it seems. It feels as if my own natural shape has returned and I am able to write. I am currently writing a 5-10,000 word essay on the future of Friends for a Quaker competition. Each section of this essay I head with a quote from a Pet Shops Boys song. It is great fun and I also use their word 'pandemonium' which is the title of a track on their new album 'Yes' but also the title of the latest tour.(If any of you want to see and comment on an early version of this essay please email me).

What is interesting to me is that I never really dreamt that I would end up working in HE apart from a childhood dream to be a professor of Astronomy. However, my lifelong dream since adolescence has been to be a writer and sometimes a poet. It is that dream that I am still working on. I am quite a successfully published academic but I have yet to have a similar impact as a writer but I am working on it! This blog is part of this.

This desire to write has gripped me for so long and I guess it does feed into the academic in me but I really want to give it full verse to coin a phrase :).

Best,

Bill on bike

No comments: