Friday 13 April 2007

Groovy trip around Norfolk

Hi,

It’s Easter Sunday and my sister-in-law Jay decides I look like a ‘groovy chick’ in my black ¾ cycling shorts and banana yellow cycling jacket. And my fluffy thinning grey hair. Not quite they image I have in mind!

I went for a 15 mile spin around the Norfolk lanes from Wyndmonham, through Deopham, Hingham, Hardingham, and Cricklewood. At Deopham I stopped off at the churchyard to pay my respects to my father-in-law a real gentle-man and farmer who was very environmentally aware – ahead of it time. We used to share a love of real ale and I delighted in finding him very obscure and often organic beers produced by small breweries.

When you cycle you enter a different time zone and way of life to usual which is why B roads and country lanes or cycle tracks are best. If you want to get form A to B and it is over 5 miles it is obviously quicker to travel by bus train or car BUT cycling is about the traveling not just the arriving. It is about being in the world with no barrier, no plate of glass between you and reality. If it rains you get wet! Also you are powering yourself and producing very little emissions apart from the odd bit of methane!

Noel Coward was wrong about Norfolk being flat. (‘How was Norfolk’ ‘Very flat’) but then he probably never cycled up a long drawn out Norfolk hill. But there again you try cycling in your dressing gown!

Happy Easter,

Bill on Bike

No comments: