Wednesday 18 April 2007

The bike with no name (still)

Hi,

back on my old bike again - the bike with no name, formerly known as Florence - in the sunshine feeling fitter and better in my body than for many a long year, a profound sense of well being permiates me. Sheila's racing bike was OK to ride on Monday for one day but I did not enjoy the drop handlebars. She only has 6 gears and told me before I set off the bottom gear does not work and the brakes are not brilliant!

Anyway I got a email from Vernon from Leeds who tells me:
"If your bike is in good mechanical order then there's no need to buy another bike. You might like to investigate changing the gearing of your bike though. I have a 21 speed Dawes galaxy that I bought second hand three/four years ago. I lowered the gearing by fitting a cassette with a 34 tooth sprocket. It made a lot of difference in Devon and Cornwall I can tell you! There wasn't a single hill that beat me"

So I think I can finally put new bike or not dilemma to rest and stick with the bike with no name. Meanwhile I have roughly and optimistically figured out where I will be on the LEJOG trip and the next step is to arrange places to stay.

Best to all,

Bill on bike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi,
when you are mentionning the sheila bike,
do you mean the dawes sheila 24 speed road bike?