Thursday 8 October 2009

The Boss meets Q again

The Boss once more visits Q his spiritual director:

- Hi Q
-Hi Boss
There was a comfortable silence.
- Q?
- Yes.
- Last year I visited my friends in Edinburgh. And... and, whilst I was there I went to a dinner party at the home of a Catholic priest who I've met before and quite like. Well I arrived a bit early, as I am want to, and they were having a short Mass in the chapel room. I was invited to join in and found myself taking Holy Communion..
- Hmm.
Q was thoughtful.
- It seemed fine at the time, in fact I found it quite moving, well more than a little. It seemed a natural expression of friendship and spirituality. But the thing is although I occasionally still take Anglican Communion, I am not a Catholic and have only ever attended the occasional Catholic wedding or funeral and never Mass.
- And this troubles you?
- Why Yes.
- And what is it about it that troubles you?
- Well some of my fellow Quakers and some of my Anglican friends would certainly not approve.
- That's never troubled you before for example with regard to your views on same sex marriage.
- True but this seems different.
- How?
- Oh, I feel like I've let the side down but actually I don't really care. It was a loving action that did not hurt anybody on the contrary it had a deep spiritual feel to it. I wont let myself be made to feel bad about it. Indeed I think we should do more of this - attend each other's services and feel the love that's there. I do wonder about whether James the priest would get into hot water but I guess he's a grown up and can make his own decisions. It's rather refreshing to see it happen actually, like if the spirit is right why not?

Q was smiling as the Boss lapsed into silence and a deep air of peace filled the room.

No comments: