Friday 29 June 2007

Sir Walter (and me) in the mud

So,

Sheila think I should call the bike Sir Walter because it is a Rayleigh bike after all - that's its make. (For those lacking English history Sir Walter Rayleigh was one of Queen Elizabeth the First's captains who were not beyond a bit of entrepreneurship. Sir Walter also brought back both the potato and tobacco from the USA.

Grace prefers and sings Na na nana na na nana na na Groat (as in the Hey Jude chorus). I quite like Dori's suggestion of the bike-formerly-known-as or even my earlier bike-with-no-name but I guess it is now the bike-with-(too)-many-names.

I am just back from 55 miles mostly along the canals. This was probably a bit dumb as after all the recent rain there were plenty of puddles, nettles, brambles and mud and it rained for an hour soon after I set off. Needless to say I fell off the bike but fortunately not on the canalside and only my pride got hurt.

After lunch I touched 23 miles a hour down hill, into Warrington (don't ask!) and made much better time on the return journey in the sunshine with less puddles. I had my usual flat bit around 25-35 miles and my right leg began to ache but this time after over 40 miles so can't be bad.

But my speed was lower than usual due to the mud and the rain so my next trip will be my usual on 'around the edge'. It is only a few weeks to go now as June ends then July and then it happens in August, quite a bit still to do and still time for your sponsorships so dig deep!

Best to all,

Bill on bike

No comments: